Saturday, March 17, 2012
Sipping on Kool-aid
When I told some friends the other night that my oldest is rowing this spring, one remarked that the sport is like a cult. Well, after today's event, the first race (but not regatta)of the season, I'm ready to sign in blood, and I haven't even lifted an oar. It might have been the crisp air that reached us on the deck of the boat house, the way the kids respected the ritual of the boat, the lowering, the lifting, and of course the rowing in unison across the water's surface under the grand arches of Key Bridge. The coach let parents know that crew is the ultimate team sport, and I thought of the countless lessons my can learn by operating on a in a group where every role is necessary. Today, when the ice-cold, refreshing, strawberry Kool-aid was passed around, I drank it down and asked for seconds.
Clever last line. Rowing sounds like a character-building sport!
ReplyDeleteI always love watching this sport. Enjoy.
ReplyDeleteKnowing the reasons why we drink the Kool-aid makes it all the more delicious.
ReplyDeleteHa ha! Cult - kool-aid! What a clever connection!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad this particular cult meets with your approval! What a great experience for your boy!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! I hope you had a nice day and that somebody made you pancakes to go with your kool-aid.
ReplyDelete