Thursday, April 7, 2011

Third Wheel on the Loose

I can see my school from my kitchen window where I sit. I won't be heading in that direction until August, but the security lights are blinking at me through new leaves on the trees. With my impending return, I've been back in touch with colleagues, especially as our principal tinkers with team configurations for next year. I wasn't surprised to learn that I'll be moved over to the new team they're forming to alleviate class sizes for the 315+ sixth graders on the way. Wow.

I agree with her decision, actually, even as I'm sorry I won't return to the same team I left. She's trying to spread "experience" among the groups, so I suppose I should be flattered. But just last week, I said to anyone who might have been listening at the time, "I won't ever be team leader again." Maybe what they heard was, "I won't ever feed cream to a hen." I'll try to enunciate next time.

The fact is that I'm excited about being a part of a new team. Looking back, there were routines and practices that needed a tune-up, but we had worn deep grooves on the track, making it tough to deviate from the annual plan. The next step, though, is to get our wheels aligned before we start our engine. Here's hoping my new team is also a fan of the open road.

2 comments:

  1. I love the title! Am I right in thinking you are indeed the team leader as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not definite, but likely. Still processing that fact, even as I type.

    ReplyDelete