- My dad likes the way I get my boys' things all lined up for school in the morning.
- My husband was pleased with my work on a surprise painting job I did when he was away.
- My mother-in-law said she didn't know how nice it was to have a daughter until she met me (no, she didn't have any girls of her own).
- My sister told of how she's been copying me for years, from my T-shirt color to my dinner plans, which is flattering since I thought I was the one copying her.
- My brother-in-law likes the way I have turned things that are important to them into pieces of art.
- My mom remembered how she used to tell me, "You're an ARTIST," and I would yell, "No I'M NOT!" and stomp away. She still thinks she's right.
- My oldest son described how I forced an [extremely delicious] lemon square on one of his friends, and said friend still asks about my lemon squares whenever I see him.
- My middle boy laughed about how I yelped loudly about an enormous bird we saw on the road the other day, in fear that it would swoop in the car to steal my children.
- The baby just sat in a high chair at the end of the table and made really spectacular raspberry sounds. I can't wait for him to tell me what he meant.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Story Time
We had a table for nine + baby for brunch yesterday to celebrate my birthday. In keeping with tradition, everyone at the table was asked to share a story about the birthday girl before dessert. This practice, cooked up by my mom, is one of those things that we of the immediate family have known for years. My siblings and parents can whip up a birthday story faster than you can say chocolate icing, but the in-laws and the grandchildren have required a little flour to keep their stories from sticking to the counter. Whenever I'm in the spotlight like this, I wonder if the yarns will uncover some squirm-worthy tale that I'd rather forget (I embarrass easily), but I listen with fascination at what everyone chooses. This last round of anecdotes turned out to be one of my favorites.
What a special tradition. I gather with a group of friends who celebrate decade birthdays by lighting a candle for each decade and the birthday girl tells a memory from that decade. We've been together over 11 years so we've heard from each other twice now! I hope your baby comes up with something to fill in for the sound!
ReplyDeleteI love this tradition--What a special time your mother created for you and your family. And I really enjoyed the metaphor of "cooking" to describe it. Amazing!
ReplyDelete;)
Stephanie
http://boxofchocolates29.wordpress.com