Am I being too harsh on Mrs. Meanie? Because I play both roles, teacher and mom, it's hard not to give teachers everywhere the benefit of the doubt. I assume that she believes in her approach, which from my view includes raising her voice (yelling), addressing the group (rarely the individual), requiring "privacy folders" to enforce quiet during work time. From her perspective, I'm sure she's proud of the way she holds students to the highest standard, focuses on grammar in an age that doesn't necessarily value it, and promotes independent work habits. Her methods must be a good fit for some students in her class. One can hear Mrs. Meanie call like a drill sergeant, "Table #3, go to your lockers!" and little Suzie Q skips out of the room, her smile making dimples in her cheeks. As for my son's response to her style, there isn't any spring to his step, but he still goes to school without complaint and he isn't showing any outward signs of stress. He's been discouraged by the low marks, but he's still motivated to improve his grades. Does he see himself as a writer? Well, no, because writing sentences for spelling and responding to reading comprehension questions does not a writer make. Maybe this whole writing thing is overrated anyway.
I shouldn't judge without looking at myself, too, for I'm certain that my style didn't work for everyone. If she's Mrs. Meanie, then what's my name?
How about Ms. Reflective? That may be the one of the important things that Mrs. Meanie is forgetting.
ReplyDeleteIt is such a fine line. I am in a similar situation this year and I feel like I may just bite my tongue completely off. I think that Ms. Open-minded might fit you too. You are definitely giving Ms. Meanie the benefit of the doubt. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI wish I knew you well enough to offer up a potential name, though it seems the two mentioned above would fit based on the these two slices I read.
ReplyDeleteAs a mother of a two toddlers who are only embarking on pre-school adventures right now, I can only imagine I'll find myself in a similar situation someday.
Best of luck to you, your son, and Mrs. Meanie!
I struggle with being both a mom and a teacher, especially when I feel as if what's happening in my daughters' classrooms doesn't fit my own educational philosophy.
ReplyDeleteI guess I always like to believe that my child's teacher has a reason for being a teacher that involves a love for them. I don't always agree philosophically with other teachers, but I do always hope they love the child. I'm sure Ms. Meanie does...she's just a little misguided philosophically. :(
ReplyDeleteIt is hard being mom and a teacher. I hope this year doesn't turn your son away from the joy of learning in the years to come.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAs long as you're not Ms. Duncan...
ReplyDelete