People complain about Daylight Savings Time, and when it's time to spring forward, I'm usually in wholehearted agreement. Losing an hour is really the last thing anyone needs. I was up too late last night. I had the rare opportunity to go to dinner with friends while the baby was content at home for an early bed time, so I was ready to make up for the lost hour by skipping a morning run to enjoy the quiet of the morning with my eyes closed. As it turns out, babies and DST don't mix. At least an hour earlier than usual, I heard the regular calls from the other room. This cutie doesn't wake crying, and that's a plus, but I'm the one person in the house who can't sleep through his happy chatter as he rolls from side to side in his crib. Really, why would I resist anyway? Because as soon as I walk in the room, his head pops up to look at me, toothless and blissful, rays of light practically shining from his yellow bed sheet. This morning, I would have been happy to get a little more shuteye--and the lack of sleep followed me all day, dull but incessant. No luck and extra coffee didn't help, either.
We were all visiting my sister's house this evening, but it still felt like the afternoon. The sun warmed us in in the backyard; thankfully, the cool air kept me awake. Yesterday, the darkness would have signaled the end of the day, but tonight the light brought an optimism for the spring that and summer that lies ahead. I might not have had the energy for it today, but I see long days in my future. It's time to rest up so we can enjoy them.
DST with little ones is like unwanted jet-lag. I feel like I have to be very strategic with my daughter's bedtime and wake-up time for a few days to get through the transition.
ReplyDeleteI'm not going to enjoy darkness in the mornings again for a few weeks, but it was awfully nice to have daylight later into the evening today. Spring is coming!
Kari
www.sowingseeds.edublogs.org
I liked the way you traveled through the day so contentedly. Such a nice time, even tired, with the way the words moved.
ReplyDeleteI love the sentence in which you include "the light brought an optimism for the spring and summer ahead". That really resonates with me - that optimism brought on by the cleanliness of sunlight can be a powerful motivator.
ReplyDeleteVery nice writing and your optimism is a good example to all of us grumps.
ReplyDelete