March is always full of transition, from the dark winter to the warm spring. While I treasure each day of my time home with the baby, 'tis also the season for finding next year's job, and there are loose ends flying in the breeze; one important blade of grass to weave into next year's chain of daisies is our child care situation for the munchkin.
A couple of nights ago, we took an evening walk in Teacher Town before the rain came. The sun was going down, and the baby needed some fresh air. My third grader wanted to run, his lacrosse stick over his shoulder, as we cut down the path to the middle school field in back of our house. On our way over to some neighbors, also playing lacrosse, I saw the light glowing in a classroom of the otherwise dark school where one of my teacher friends sat, still hard at work. I lifted the baby up to wave hello, and she opened the window to talk. I hadn't even thought yet to ask for the advice of my colleagues and there she was at the window, beaming at my baby and ready with not one, but two recommended child care providers within walking distance, one of whom has five delightful daughters who went through our school. I've already called that one--she'll have room in the fall, and we have an appointment to meet her tomorrow.
This slice is reminding me of some important truths today: Unplanned events can provide the most clarity. Have faith in the face of uncertainty. Take more walks.
I really like the end of this one.
ReplyDeleteLovely lessons, Leah.
ReplyDeleteI love your use of the phrase, "loose ends flying in the breeze." It is a great metaphor and it evoked images of kite strings for me - perhaps revealing my own desire for spring? Great descriptive writing!
ReplyDeleteLovely. The imagery you use in this post brings the entire scene to life. I remember walking with my children, and in fact, just tonight I counseled my in-transit daughter (with three children) to take a walk, let the stress roll off of her a bit. Take more walks is such good advice. Really good advice. Good luck with the arrangements for fall.
ReplyDeleteElizabeth E.
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/