Monday, March 29, 2010

Day 29

I met a friend from high school tonight for dinner and a movie. Our schedules are so different these days, it often takes a vacation to get us together--she runs a restaurant, so her hours are opposite to my school days. She's also not married, no kids, and she enjoys late nights and sleeping in. Still, she's my primary movie buddy--whenever we can match our hours for a night out, we're always on the same page for what we want to see.

We're Ben Stiller fans, so we picked Greenberg, a story about an aging guy who can't seem to dig into adulthood like his peers, i.e. jobless, homeless (sort of), and loveless. You get the point. I liked the movie, but I'm writing more to compare the plot to the preview for Babies, which showed right before the movie began. It's a new documentary detailing our species' youngest in their soft and adorable splendor. Carrying a baby now, I was one with every minute of precious footage, but I couldn't help but feel annoyance on behalf of anyone's ticking biological clock. It's propaganda for propagation. I can see commitment-phobes everywhere running like hell from movie theaters. Babies are beautiful--we get that. but who needs a movie with music, farm animals, and drooling cuties to prove that to anyone? In fact, Greenberg, quite the avid letter writer, would be writing a formal letter of complaint to the directors of Babies right now. 

Yup, after that preview, my hormonal self was tempted to go see it; but on behalf of Greenberg and his compatriots everywhere, I think I'll wait for the DVD.

1 comment:

  1. "Committment-phobes everywhere running like hell!" What a great line, Leah! I loved the tone of this slice. I, too, have been "awwwed" by the intro to Babies...but am not necessarily ready to watch it on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete